Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Tip 56: The Three Basic Push-ups

Oooo a colon :) I think it's better than the redundant date, thanks RE.

I'm not going to give some stupid lecture about doing your push-ups down slowly until you can almost touch the ground with your nose and then pushing up hard.

I instead offer this well-known information- there are three basic hand positions you use when you do push-ups.

1. Standard Push-up
   -Hands about shoulder width apart
   -Feet together
   -Parts of chest, back, biceps, triceps and shoulders
2. Triangle Push-up
   Hands in triangle (if possible) or just close together below sternum
   -Feet together (harder) or spread somewhat
   -Tuck elbows in so they're basically against your ribcage when in "down" position
   -Bigger focus on triceps, with feet together get some core elements
3. Wide Push-up
   -Hands wider than shoulder width apart
   -Feet together
   -Focus more on chest and back

I used all three, as well as some cooler ones I will discuss in upcoming posts, earlier tonight.

The push-up is really a great platform to work from. It requires no equipment and can be adapted easily depending on your strength. It works a lot of areas of your upper body and, if you are creative, shouldn't get too easy or boring.

2 comments:

tcelfer said...

4. Handstand Pushups
-worth $50 on valentine's day
-freaking hard
-no legs

tcelfer said...

The colon title format is better. Also, post on pownce more.