Friday, June 13, 2008

Tip 4, for 6/13/08

ooo Friday the 13th.... on to bigger matters (like linking words, lots of words, since I haven't linked words in a post so far)

I was reading on Lifehacker (here) about a Firefox extension called QuickDrag.

The deal is that it allows you to do some neat dragging and dropping in Firefox:

-Highlighting and dragging a highlighted text url to the tab bar to open it in a new tab
-Clicking and dragging a picture to a file to save it there
-Highlighting and dragging a word "anywhere" (that's what it says on the extension's homepage) to search for that word in a new tab

It turns out, you can already do the first two in Firefox (at least Firefox 3 (release candidate 3 at time of writing)). The third you can do by opening a new tab, highlighting and dragging the text, hovering over the new tab to open it, and dropping the word in the search bar at the top right. This, however, is rather awkward. Dragging and dropping text into that search bar will automatically search for it which is useful if you don't need to open your search results in a new tab. You can also drag and drop a hyperlink to the tab bar to open it in a new tab (useful if you can't middle click/control click it for some reason) or drop it in the address bar of the page you're on to open it there (useful if you spilled honey on your left click and it's easier to drag and drop).

So yeah, Firefox kicks ass, these little tips should save some of you mouse people (people that use their mice, rather than keyboards/keyboard shortcuts) some time. Enjoy.


p.s. I just found this neat little trick, I'll try it out and see if it can do the thing QuickDrag can do with searching for words by dragging them to the tab bar to search for them in a new tab.

p.p.s. The links were and are stupid, I know, it's Friday the 13th, I'm feeling silly

No comments: