Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Tip 63: Airplanes, Water Bottles, etc.

In a previous tip/in the comments I said that you should bring an empty water bottle to the airport and fill it up at a water fountain once you clear security, since you can't bring liquids through now. Well, I was flying today and I had a connection in Washington D.C. (Reagan).

My gate was changed from like 39 to 25 or something. In most airports this is really not a big deal. So, I ate a really shitty burrito which might not have been as bad if they had not put in the shit-ass salsa like I asked them to. The Bird hates onion in his burritos, I hate tomato. Regardless, I had put water in my water bottle sometime during this landing and eating process.

So then I feel like it's about time I head to my gate. I walk up and down the terminal a little looking for 25. Unfortunately, the lowest numbered gate I could find was like 35. Then I finally see a sign which says I need to go out of security to get to my gate. Not good. I walk for a little and see that I need to go through security again. By this time I had completely forgotten that I had water in my water bottle. I remembered this right after I put my bag with my water bottle into the machine. Not good.

So the security guy says, "there's water in here." I said "yeah, I just filled it and my gate changed, could you just dump it for me?" I also gestured vaguely towards the garbage can about a foot behind the security guy. He said no, I would have to go back through again after dumping it. The woman behind me said, "can't you just dump it in the garbage can behind you?" No. So I had to gather my stuff walk around through the exit in my socks, dump it and go through again. What a joy. When I arrived at my gate we were starting to board.

So here's the tip: mental checklist before entering security. ID, boarding pass, liquids and gels are all less than 3 or 4 oz or whatever the fuck it is now and they're in a one quart plastic bag. Know the contents of your pockets and minimize them. Put your iPod and phone in your bag, as well as your loose change.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that sucks hard. What do you think about the new legislation so that you can have a laptop still in your bag as long as its a particular style? The bag needs to hold the laptop like a neoprene sleeve when its opened.

Charlie said...

Yeah I saw a sign about that in D.C. but I didn't really understand it...