Monday, September 29, 2008

Tip 104: Really Good Software Part 7, AutoHotkey

AutoHotkey is a little open source Windows-only program (you Mac people have Quicksilver), that allows you to create hotkeys and automate actions macro-style. I basically use it for my shortcut keys, pressing win+f for Firefox, win+s for Steam, etc. Since I have a laptop this saves me the trouble of using the touchpad to launch programs. I can keep my hands on the keyboard and get what I want done quicker and easier.

You do have to write the code yourself for the most part, but there are plenty of tutorials, sample code and other code you can cut and paste into your hotkeys programs.

There's also a neat feature which allows you to turn the AutoHotkey script into an .exe so it can run on any computer (even those without AHK installed). I haven't gotten this to work, however.

No comments: