Monday, September 15, 2008

Tip 90: Erasing a Hard Drive

As I type, I am erasing my hard drive, but not on the computer I am writing this on, obviously. Simply erasing all the files on a disc does not erase them, a simple file recovery program can retrieve them from a deletion. Emptying the recycle bin doesn't change this. Reformatting a drive doesn't even erase all the data.

To actually delete the data, wipe it clean without hope of recovery, you need to use a specifically designed program for that purpose. I am using Darik's Boot and Nuke (DBAN). It writes zeros and/or psuedo-random (according to some magic algorithim) numbers to the drive. You can write anywhere from one to 35 passes. I am doing a DoD (Department of Defense) Short wipe which is a three pass wipe. It's the default wipe for DBAN. Why I am doing this is another story for another day.

No comments: