Sunday, September 21, 2008

Tip 96: A Quick Shaving Tip

Let the shaving cream sit on your face for about a minute before you start putting the razor to it. This will help to moisturize your face and soften up the hair for easier, closer, more comfortable shaving.

Also, by the same logic, shave your tougher hairs towards the end of your shave. This allows the shaving cream to sit on them for a little while longer, which should help you to shave them off with less catching/cutting of your face. For example, I save the hairs on my chin and under my jaw bone for last.

1 comment:

tcelfer said...

A follow tip on shaving:

-Razors vs Electric Razors-
The Pros and Cons (by Category)
an excerpt from a biased article in "Time Consumer Reports"
by Kyle 'cackypants' Cackett

Closeness of Shave: Good old fashoined Razor's and Cream wins hands down in this category (or so I've heard)

Time: Electric razors have absolutely no prep time and very little cleanup time-simply brush the hairs from the trap. You basically stick them on your face and they go to work. Contrast this to foaming and lathing and swiping (not to mention the time is takes to ejaculate all that shaving cream...). It may be close but I think electric razors have the speed.

Economy:
Electric Razor - No replacements necessary (companies will try and sucker you into buying new blades but anecdotal evidence from my father and grandfather says this is not necessary). Bottom line, electric razors are a one time investment and from then on only cost the price of electricity in a charge.
Razor & Cream - Shaving cream is not infinite, neither are the sharpness of blades. I'm not sure how often they need to be replaced but I am sure it runs you at $5-10 a pop.
Conclusion: 0<5-10 = Electric Razor

Danger:We all know if your not careful old fashioned razors can lead to a bloody face. On the other hand, I routinely shave in my room while writing emails and cooking bacon (consider time efficiency here). I have never cut myself. The worst I've gotten is mild skin irritation.

Coolness/Badassery:Old fashioned razor wins here no contest. However, I pose the following question: "How many people watch you shave and judge your manliness at the same time?" If the answer is greater than 1 you should not shave in a Roman bathhouse.

Conclusion:
If you value COOLNESS and A SMOOTH FACE stick to your crude archaic shaving methods. However if you value your TIME your MONEY and the AMOUNT OF BLOOD IN YOUR FACE electric razors are the way to go.

I've got an electric SHAY-VAR! --Good for all my back hairs.