Monday, August 11, 2008

Tip 55, for 8/11/08

When you have a conversation, how much of it are you responsible for? This is likely to change depending on who you talk to, but think about it.

When I talk to some people, I am responsible for about 20% of the conversation. When I talk to other people, it's the other way, and I find myself needing to hold up 80%. Under normal circumstances, I like to be responsible for about 40%, but this doesn't often occur.

The important thing here is to be able to acknowledge when you are talking too much and when you are putting too much pressure on the other person to talk.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that not talking enough is as much of a concern as talking too much. Of course, there are situations when both are necessary, but overall you should show that you are both paying attention and not self centered.

How about a tip on "continue" phrases (times when you can't input anything useful but want to show you are listening)

Charlie said...

Uh huh